Friday, July 20, 2012

My DIY Haircut - WOW!

So I have long hair (it's been long, longish, medium length at various stages for years). I usually get a bug up m'butt to treat myself to a hip, gorgeous new "DO" @ once a YEAR. And then I just never go back until the next urge strikes. I'm busy. I just do NOT see that I will ever, ever, ever follow through with a meticulous (or even loosely structured) schedule of hair maintenance with regular trips to "my" hairdresser at "my" salon.
Too lazy.
Cheap too, I guess.
I do this with clothes as well - I will go for looooooong stretches of buying nothing at all for myself - and then, out of the blue - I'll go hog-wild and get a lot of stuff at once. Same with the hair - when that overpowering urge to "change it up" with a new haircut strikes, I don't go to some cheap place to get a cut. No, no, no. I make an appointment at a nicer salon that's got a higher-end rep where I live and spend a FORTUNE on the cut and, often, ridiculously priced product and/or gadgets as well. It adds up.

So it's always been OK with me to wait for ages between these splurges. But this last stretch has been a bit extreme. It's been @ TWO YEARS since I last got any sort of cut or trim. My hair done got LOOOOONG. Even my husband has mentioned that I should get a cut or trim several times in the last several months and I always INTEND to do it and then forget all about it.

Yesterday, I thought to myself, "Self, you can find out how to do anything on the Internet and I just bet you can find out how to cut your hair too."

I already had an idea of what I wanted. KEEP a longer haircut but trim and then LAYER it and, drum-roll, cut some BANGS. The bangs idea started about a year ago when my little, precious lamb, my own Lulu became obsessed with (and even ENVIOUS of) the network of lines ingrained in my forehead. Her fascination was sweet and funny but I started thinking that it might be time for some bangs way back then.

Long story short --- I spent a few hours researching and found some info that seemed practical and doable and then selected my methods of choice and then DID it.

I did buy myself some haircutting scissors from Walgreen's for $19.99 but I already saved money (like $20-$25) from what a salon cut would have cost me - not to mention the savings if I continue to do it myself. AND, I can learn to cut the kids and Clark's hair too right???? The mind reels.

So anyway - I did my first kinda/sorta "how to" or "review" type video after it was done and I posted it to YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HFPMcLLW6do&feature=plcp

The scissors are "LTD Tweezerman"
I used the "Whole Head Method" for the trim/layers from this page: http://www.wikihow.com/Layer-Cut-Your-Own-Hair
I used several videos found on YouTube for input on the above but this method seemed to be the most straightforward, simple way to go.
I viewed a lot of different YouTube Videos with tutorials on cutting your own bangs as well and then just kinda did it on my own.

I think it turned out pretty great - even better than I had hoped it could really. Here's the video again.

Yay me!!! ;-)

1 comment:

  1. So cute! Love you guys! I need a cut too and I'm putting it off...

    ReplyDelete